The directorate which is as old as the school stands to correct the account for wrong information and misrepresentation of the various groups and communities in the State. One of such erroneous view- points is that Lagos is no mans land. (Gbogbo wa laleko … we all own Lagos). This assumption rests on fallacy rather than historical reality. Knowledge however is the only vaccine that we have for ignorance. This is why the effort of Prof. Kunle- Lawal, the then Hon. Commissioner for Education, Lagos State, Dr. A.O.K. Noah, the then Provost of the College and Mr. Hakeem Ajose-Adeogun, the then Deputy Provost are highly commendable for establishing the Centre for Lagos State Studies (CEFOLASS) in August 2001 through the Academic Board. This was a major complement to the effort of the History Department of the College that commenced the Awori Studies in 1994.
Mission, Vision and Objectives
- To ensure the transformation of the centre to a research institute for the study of the socio-political, psychological and cultural issues that affect the lives of the people.
- To network with other centres for the purpose of knowledge creation and dissemination.
- To organize seminars, workshops and conferences to help in the formulation of policies/perspectives on our collective civilization
- To conduct research on the political economy and also examine emergent development issues in Lagos State, so as to meet the demands of a mega city.
- Documentation and publication of studies, surveys and reports on monuments, events, festivals and other tourist potentials to help boost domestic and international tourism in the State.
The Directorate occupies an apartment with two Offices and a Reading Room.
Centre seminar, titled Changing the future role of CEFOLAS: Challenges and Prospects
Centre Seminar was delivered by Dr. M.A. Balogun, Titled Islam in Lagos Its Growth and Development.
Seminar at CEFOLAS Library in conjunction with Music Department of the College, titled Music Education and Musical Activities in Lagos State.
A website detailing the Centres events and activities was created. cefolas.net
Since its establishment, the Centre has organized series of Lectures, conducted monthly seminars, and has always served as a Library for both staff and students. Interested people may visit www.cefolasaocoed.net for more details.
Members of Staff
|1.||Mrs. Rifquat Sanni||Principal Lecturer|