A warm welcome to The Department of Christian Religious Studies which started as the Department of Religious Studies. Then, it was merged together with the Department of Islamic Studies. However, in 1992, the department became an autonomous unit. The first head of the Unit was Mr. P.T. Oladapo. In 1995, the Department of Christian Religious Studies became a full department. The courses taken by the department was in line with the NCCE requirement. Today, the department has produced four PhD degree holders.
The department of Christian Religious Studies is a department that is set aside for the teaching and learning of Christian Religious values, beliefs and aspirations in line with the complex and dynamic nature of the human society. Since man recognizes the fact that he is faced with physical and metaphysical challenges. The following are the mission of the department.
- To enable pupils respond to a range of important questions related to their spiritual development, the development of values and attitudes and fundamental questions concerning the meaning and purpose of life.
- To help the students acquire the religious and moral values needed to enhance the quality of their lives and the life of the nation.
- To help the students acquire the spirit of self discipline, positive, self image and balanced personality.
- To produce sound and professional teachers that are capable of imparting knowledge in Christian Religious and moral education in primary and secondary schools.
- To promote inter-religious relationships that is needed in a pluralistic society like Nigeria.
- To provide necessary training for the award of NCE as specified by the NCCE.
- To provide necessary moral training for future teachers and educationists.
- To assist the learners to develop personal relationship with God.
- To help the learner use acquired social, spiritual and moral insights to think critically and make appropriate moral decisions in a changing society.
- To help the learner contribute positively to the transformation of an individual and society as a whole.
- To produce teachers who will be able to function effectively as custodians of sound, moral and spiritual qualities, particularly in their interaction with young learners.
Scope and Responsibilities/Services Provided
- To instruct students in courses that will lead to certificates, diplomas and related academic board.
- To train students to be thoughtful practitioners in their area of study.
- The department is responsible for the production of teachers in moral education that are logically sound and intellectually sophisticated.
- To produce teachers that will be able to transform the society positively.
- To provide academic manpower to train pupils in primary and junior secondary schools in Nigeria.
The department of Christian Religious Studies has recorded tremendous achievements right from its inception. It is on record that the department has produced a large number of graduates who have excelled in their various areas of endeavours. Some notable lecturers in the College are products of the Department. Amongst them are PhD holders in the likes of Dr. Dayo Daodu of the department of Guidance and Counseling, Dr. Sunday Oyeyemi of the department of Educational Foundation and a Sociologist of Education.
It is important to stress that the department of Christian Religious Studies has produced about 75% of Christian Religious Knowledge teachers in Lagos State Primary and Junior Secondary Schools.
Projection and Expectations
- To make the department stand out as a resourceful, outstanding and effective producer of teachers that are capable of transforming the society positively.
- To give our students good and qualitative, moral and religious education that will enhance national development.
- To maintain a balance between the angelic and animalistic traits in man.
- To produce teachers that will be able to interact with people of opposite religions, thereby creating an atmosphere of peaceful co-exisence.
- To produce teachers that will train students to live a life that is godly and upright.
- Through the teaching of Christian Religious Education, it is expected that the issues of corruption, incessant killings and other social vices will drastically reduce.
- Our expectation is that the policy makers and stakeholders in the field of education will give more attention to Christian Religious Education in Nigeria. Education of the soul should be the priority of a good nation.
Members of Staff
|1||Dr. Harmona O.A.||B.A. 1991,
|2||Mr. Oladapo P.T.||B.A.(Ed) Religious Studies) 1985,
M.A. (Religious Studies), 1997,
M. Ed. (EMT)
|3||Dr. (Mrs.) Ishola T.K.||NCE (1984),
B.Ed. (CRS), 1989,
|4||Mr. Osoba A.J.||NCE 1983,
|5||Dr. (Mrs.) Okunade A.O.||B.A. (Ed) 1992,
|6||Dr. Daodu C.S.||B.A. (Ed) 1999
|7||Mrs. Henmaugo K.S.||NCE 1995,