Welcome to the Department of Music in the School of Arts and Social Sciences of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Otto/Ijanikin, Lagos. The importance and role of music in our day to day activities cannot be over emphasized, especially in the lives of Nigerian children who are born and nurtured in music. Music serves several functions e.g social, political, historical, economic, religious, communicative and moral functions in a society. Therefore, the study of music in Nigerian Colleges of Education like ours is indispensable for the development of the Nigerian child, society and the entire nation.
The Music Department is as old as the College itself, right from the old site at Onitiri, Surulere, when it was Advanced Teacher’s College.
The department started as a unit under the department of Creative Arts and later metamorphosed into a full-fledged department. Ever since then, the department has had so many heads of department; Mr. Denton, M.O, Mr. Harrison Kweku, Colonel Olubobokun, Mr. L.K. Johnson, Dr. Olusoji Stephen, Dr. Okunade AdeOluwa, Mr. Oyeniyi, G.O, Dr. (Mrs.) Loko, O.O and Mr. Ogunbona, S.O.
Other lecturers who contributed to the growth of the department are Dr. Albert Oikhelome, Dr. Babalola, S.O, Mr. Fakeye, A.A, Mr. Adepoju, A.O, late Mr. Oyeniyi, G.O and Mr. Odunsi, V.O (retired).
The department runs both Single and Double Major combinations. As at present the students’ population is 107. The department offers courses in African and Western European Music to her students (Theory and Practical). The department has produced many music scholars, prominent musicians and music educators.
To produce well qualified NCE teachers capable of teaching music at the Primary and Junior Secondary School levels, media houses, religious houses, advertising companies and armed forces.
To use music through stage presentations and other activities to promote cultural continuity and ultimately reconstruct African history.
Discipline, Commitment and Professionalism.
Scope and Responsibilities/Services Provided
Beside the traditional services of teaching and administration, the Department provides community services through musical performances in the College and outside.
Other services that can be Provided
- Orchestral, Chorale, Dance band and Cultural Performers.
- Music composition
- Seminars for Music Teachers
- Music workshops for Choirs in schools and churches.
- Scoring and arranging of creative works.
- Performing in all the College events
- Performed for almost five years at Whispering Palms, Badagry during Festive periods.
- Performed in 2006 at Late Prof. Mosunmola, Omibiyi-Obidike’s inaugural lecture at the University of Ibadan.
- Produced an audio CD.
- The College anthem emanated from the Music department.
- Attended a choral composition competition at Abuja in 2005 and won Gold medal.
- Serves as the performer for Lagos State Government Scholarship Board during the award of Bursary to Lagos State Students.
- Hosted three Music Associations (two National and one International) i.e. Association of Nigerian Musicologists (ANM) 2008, Conference of Music Educators in Nigeria (COMEN) 2004 and Pan African Society for Musical Arts Educators (PASMAE) 2009.
- Organized seminars for music teachers in Lagos State.
Members of Staff
|1.||Mr. Adepoju A. A.||OND Music 1986, HND Music, 1996, PGDE 2004||Principal Instructor|
|2.||Dr. Mrs. Loko O.O.||Dip. In Music(Music Edu.), B.A. Music 1996, M.A. Music 2005, Ph.D. 2011||Principal Lecturer|
|3.||Mr. Ogunbona O. S.||NCE 1993, B.A. Music 1997, M.A.||Lecturer II|
|4.||Mr. Fakeye A. A.||Dip. in Music 1996, B.A. Music 1999, M.A.||Lecturer III|