The School of Preliminary Studies was established in 1993/1994 Academic Session to prepare students with deficiency in admission requirements for the Regular NCE programme. Initially, the rationale behind the programme was due to poor enrollment of Regular NCE students into the School of Sciences in the College. It was later expanded to accommodate prospective students into the School of Vocational and Technical Education and the Department of French Language.
Mission: The main goal of the Pre- NCE Programme is to produce qualified candidates for admission into the standard NCE Programme in the areas of Science, Vocational and Technical Education, Nigerian and French Languages and any other field as specified by the Academic Board. Presently, it has extended its services to producing qualified candidates, not only for NCE programme in the college but also for admission into other higher institutions in Nigeria.
Vision: To motivate students in an enabling environment with the intention of embracing teaching as a career.
Objectives: I. to produce qualified students for admission into the NCE Regular programme in the College.
- To prepare students for the UTME, SSCE, GCE and NECO examinations
- Production of qualified students for admission into the NCE Programme.
- Production of qualified students for admission into Nigerian universities and other tertiary institutions
- Production of students with a minimum of credit passes in five subjects in SSCE.
The scope of the programme basically involves:
- Preparing students to be adequate in undertaking Regular NCE programmes; and
- UTME subjects required for tertiary institutions in Nigeria
- . Responsibilities: These include the following:
- Coaching and preparing students for the NCE Programme, UTME and SSCE
- Purchase of JAMB forms for students and registering them for the examination
- Registering students for a new academic session in the College
- Counseling and guiding students on which subjects to register for according to the preferred course of choice
- Conducting first and second semester examinations
- Collating and processing results of the examination and publishing same.
List of Departments, Divisions and Units in School of Preliminary Studies
Admission/Registration Unit: This Unit is responsible for screening registering and admitting students for the programme.
Records/Filing Unit: This Unit keeps the files of the students registered for the programme and undertakes the movement of such files.
Administrative Unit: This Unit is responsible for all the administrative work in the school which includes raising and typing of memoranda, documents, supervision of other units, organizing examinations/Invigilation and processing the issuance of Bursary Department Numbers for students who have paid.
MEMBERS OF STAFF
NAME OF STAFF
|1||Dr J O.Owoso||M||PhD, (Industrial Technical Education) MSc, BSC (ed), NCE||Chief Lecturer|
|2||Mrs.Ombugadu A.K||F||B.A History Int. Studies. 1999||Senior Assistant Registrar|
|3||Mrs.Catherine Oluwayomi Ogundare||F||B.SC Human Physiology (1987) P.G.D.E (2005) Education (2008)||Assitant. Chief Executive officer|
|4||Awoyejo S.A||M||B.SC, Secretarial exams Diploma in comp.sc||Chief Officer||
|5||Enitinwa Ester, Omolara Olufunmilayo||F||Chief Typist|
|6||Miss Omololu A.||F||Cleaner|