The Directorate of Academic Planning under the Office of the Provost was established in February 2010. This was in response to the need to evolve sound professional ethics in the management of the College, which demands that the social characteristics of the beneficiaries should be regularly related to the available resources, and the future needs, for progressive quality service delivery. The strong belief that this is better done in a more structured setting through a Directorate so charged with such responsibility, led to the establishment of a Directorate of Academic Planning.
Dr. M. Babatunde Lawal was appointed as the pioneer Director in Y2010.
Its mandate is to put the academic and administrative structures under proper guidance for the promotion of orderly academic development of the College in the performance of its statutory functions of teaching, research and development as well as public service.
The mission of the Academic Planning Directorate is to establish an integrated planning mechanism for the accomplishment of the goals and objectives of the College and to instill planning consciousness at all levels in the College so that their activities will be directed towards achieving stated goals/objectives. It is also our mission to ensure that action is preceded by carefully laid down plans for self-sustaining development.
The vision of the Academic Planning Directorate is to consciously and systematically enshrine the concept of functional and effective planning into all facets of the College. This involves planning with the various segments of the College in order to accomplish the overall vision, mission, and objectives of the College.
Scope and Responsibilities
The major duties of the Directorate include:
Academic Programme Monitoring
- Building and maintenance of a database of all approved academic programmes, and the use of collated data for projection purposes.
- Preparation and updating of the College academic brief.
- Monitoring the performance of all the College programmes to ensure the maintenance of high academic standards and quality control.
- Preparation of submissions to the College Academic Board, for approvals in respect of new programmes and new academic centres.
- Arranging for the accreditation of new programmes and the re-accreditation of existing ones by the National Commission for Colleges of Education and National Universities Commission
- Facilitating free-flow of information within the College and between Colleges of Education in Nigeria.
- Coordinating the College curriculum review exercises.
- Coordinating all research activities in the College.
- Initiating research linkages and technical cooperation between the Colleges other tertiary institutions, governments and their agencies. International Organizations, Industries and the neighbouring communities etc.
- Providing the secretariat for the College Committee for Research.
- Coordinating linkages and outreach programmes of the College including affiliations.
- Publication of research findings.
- Promotion of individual and group research achievements through various national and international exhibitions and awards.
Publication, Documentation and Strategic Planning
- Coordination and monitoring of publication of the College calendar, annual reports, prospectus and other related publications.
- Co-ordination of the production and updating of policy document on course credit system.
- Producing, reviewing and monitoring the implementation of the College’s Strategic Rolling Plan.
Other functions and activities include:
- Participation in College curricula revision and/or review activities as well as ensuring that the College complies with procedures and guidelines on new programme development as prescribed by the National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE).
- Collecting, analysing, interpreting and storing data on students, staff, and equipment for the purpose of providing all segments of the College with necessary information on infrastructural needs for efficient and effective functioning.
- Assisting in producing and/or revising long, medium and short-term academic briefs.
- Documenting and storing of information on the academic programmes of the College.
- Analysis and interpretation of College annual and trend statistics.
- Publication of College records, statistics, and research reports, etc., as may be directed/approved by the Provost. .
- Monitoring of College academic policy and its implementation.
- Sourcing of scholarships, sponsorship and fellowship for staff.
- Liaison with other Colleges, Schools, Departments and Units on information and data for planning purposes.
- Sourcing for linkages and collaborations with other Institutions/Organizations in order to exchange collegiality across the globe.
Mode of Operation
From inception, the Academic Planning Directorate has continued to carry out its role of ensuring that the minimum academic standards are constantly maintained. Its core values are:
Relevance: Appropriate quality and planning mechanisms to be identified and agreed upon by all stakeholders for the various sections and activities of the College.
Realism: Realistic measures that are instituted and geared towards improving on existing resources for quality enhancement.
Cost-effectiveness: Using the most cost-effective means to achieve desired results.
Synergy: Application of strategies, which are holistic and enable all sections to respond positively to quality issues in teaching, learning and research.
Partnerships: Consciously promote collaboration internally (management, staff and students) and externally (other tertiary institutions, communities and external support agencies).
Dynamism: Instituting structures for periodic review systems in order to respond to local, national and global trends.
Dedication: Committed to the academic growth of the College and improved quality in teacher preparation.
Integrity: Instituting professional ethics among teacher educators and their trainees.
Proactive: Always ready to to advance the frontiers of knowledge in the field of teacher education and curriculum content delivery at the basic and post-basic education level.
Professionalism: consciously promoting the teaching profession as one that is not meant for all comers but only the specialists in the field.