The Department of History is as old as the College. When AOCOED was Advanced Teachers College, the Department offered History courses for the NCE Primary. When the College became autonomous, it offers NCE Secondary and Pre NCE Courses.
In Line with the NCCE recommendation, the following courses are offered: Historiography, Major World Civilization, West Africa, Nigeria, North Africa, East and Central Africa, Economic History of Nigeria and West Africa, Methodology, Research Methods and Field Trips, Themes in World history, European Conquest and African Resistance, Southern Africa, Economic History of Africa since 1800, Local and Regional history, Introduction to Archeology, Third World, Nigeria in the 20th Century, Africa in the 20th Century and World History from 1919 to the present.
With the above History courses, philosophy and objectives of teaching history are accomplished in the College towards Nigerian schools. In the Philosophy of History, man is inevitably concerned with the nature of the past, indicators of the present and future. History offers an understanding of the nature of the society, its values and problems through critical analysis and assessment of the major events in its social, political, and technological development, the major dramatis personae and philosophies behind their actions.
- To encourage in the student the growth of an awareness of his responsibilities and opportunities as a Nigeria citizen;
- To stimulate an appreciation of the world in which the student finds himself and encourage students to develop mentalities which are suitable to post-colonial era and compatible with national and intellectual integrity;
- To enlarge students knowledge and appreciate the world beyond Nigeria and Africa, and to appreciate the common heritage of mankind;
- To enable students to develop an appreciation and understanding of the historical development in Nigeria and the contribution of our past heroes /heroines;
- To develop in the students the capability of analyzing issues critically;
- To develop the skills of post-secondary approach to the study of History in order to inculcate professional attitude in the student so that he can effectively teach history related subjects in primary and secondary schools in Nigeria of the 21st century; and
- To give students solid foundation for further studies and research in history at both local and national levels.
Members of Staff
|1||Onaolapo F. A.||N.C.E., B.A. (Ed) History, M.A. (History) Ph.D in View||Principal Lecturer and Head of Department|
|2||Akindele S. A.||N.C.E., B.A., M.Ed., M.A. (History), Ph.D in view||Chief Lecturer|
|3||Dr.Awofisayo O. A.||N.C.E., B.Ed, M.Phil (History) Ph.D||Chief Lecturer|
|4||Dr.Fakayode M. F||B.A., M.A. (History), M.Ed. (Sociology of Education) Ph.D||Chief Lecturer|
|5||Ajayi S. I.||N.C.E., B.A (Ed) M.A (History)||Principal Lecturer|
|6||Odu A. O.||N.C.E, B.A, M.A. (History)||Senior Lecturer|