A warm welcome to The School of Languages AOCOED, Ijanikin which was created in 1992 based on the NCCE directive of 1989 that the School of Languages should be carved out of the School of Arts and Social Sciences. It began with three Departments: English, French and Yoruba.
Later, two additional Departments namely; Hausa and Igbo were added to the existing three and in 2014, the Department of Arabic came into existence. Past Deans and Acting Deans of the School are: Mr. A.K. Adofo (1992-1996), Mrs. Somoye, B (1996-1998), Mr. Akinyemi (1998-2001), Mrs. Taye Kehinde (2001-2002), Late Mr. Babagbemi Yusuf (2002-2004), late Mr. Odejimi (2004-2008), Mr. (Now Dr.) L.A. Ajani (2008-2012), Mr. R. Adebambo (Jan. 2012-Jan. 2015), Mrs. Taye Kehinde (Jan. 2015- Jan. 2017). The School is currently headed by Dr. Kikelomo Adeniyi.
Mission and Vision
- To assist students become intellectually informed and acquire spoken and written competence in indigenous, official and international languages existing in the Nigerian National Curriculum.
- To produce qualified and highly rated professional teachers of various languages for the Basic Education Level.
The Dean is the overall officer of the School who oversees the entire administration. All the six (6) Heads of Department and the School Officer assist in the implementation, decision making and day to day running/activities of the School.
Among several others, the School of Languages has:
- organised the School of Languages International Conference (2011) which attracted scholars from within and outside the country;
- published an International Journal together with the Institute D’ Enseignement superieur Sonou, d’Afrique (IESSAF – Universite), Avakpa Tokpa;
- contributed to the establishment of the Committee on Egun and Awori Languages by the College Management;
- organised National Conferences hosted by the English and Yoruba Departments in 2015;
- produced a Chief Lecturer as a Lead Paper Presenter at the 2013 edition of the National Conference of the School of Languages, Federal College of Education, Osiele, Abeokuta;
- produced the College Tertiary Education Trust Fund (Tetfund) nominee with the highest journal publication for the 2014/2015 session;
- produced members that have attended College and Tetfund-sponsored international conferences such as Dr. S. Akanmu (Atlanta Georgia, U.S.A. 2012), Dr. Kikelomo Adeniyi (Atlanta Georgia, U.S.A. 2014 and Brighton, Sussex, U.K. 2015), Mr. F. Jegede (Atlanta Georgia, U.S.A. 2014), Mrs. Pelumi Olowofoyeku (Dubai UAE, 2015), Mrs. Taye Kehinde (Dubai UAE, 2016), Mrs. Mopelola Adebayo (Dubai UAE, 2016), C. Eze (Ghana, 2016); and
- produced three lecturers who bagged D degrees after the 2012 accreditation: Dr. S. Akanmu (2014), Dr. L. Ajani (2015) and Dr. Ngozi Dom-Anyanwu (2015).
- A well-furnished Digital multimedia Language Laboratory with ICT based equipment, Computers, Projectors, Amplifier, Wireless and CLIP microphone.
- A Modern School Complex with lecture rooms, well-furnished offices, cultural rooms and restrooms.
- Internet facilities.